Warsan Shire a Kenyan-born, Somali-British poet, who has something really inspiring to offer to us. Her poems and quotes, are just so empowering. Her words so magical, something you should definitely taste and see. Thus presenting to you 10 of the most amazing Warsan Shire quotes, extracted from her poems. Read on and enlighten yourself.
These Warsan Shire quotes will bring out the ‘Bold’ in you
1. Mother says there are locked rooms inside all women, kitchen of love, bedroom of grief, bathroom of apathy. Sometimes, the men, they come with keys, and sometimes the men, they come with hammers.
2. Give your daughters difficult names. Give your daughters names that command the full use of tongue. My name makes you want to tell me the truth. My name doesn’t allow me to trust anyone that cannot pronounce it right.
3. When I love, I love: wholly, thoroughly, completely, drowning in everything. Every glance can be a conversation, eyes just playing and saying what needs to be said. Silence is loud, and the air becomes heavy. I want you. I want all of you.
4. It’s not my responsibility to be beautiful. I’m not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me.
5. Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.
6. I won’t glorify or romanticize heartbreak, for me it was a kind of death and I was forced to keep living.
7. To my daughter I will say, when men come, set yourself on fire.
8. The ego hurts you like this: You become obsessed with the one person who does not love you. Blind to the rest who do.
9. I’m sorry that you were not truly loved and that it made you cruel.
10. We took such care of tomorrow and died on the way there.
If you know of any more, Warsan Shire quotes, you can add them in the comment section below!! 🙂